Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Finding God in an unexpected place

I'm not sure this is a very "Christian" thing to feel, but sometimes I get a little creeped out by the directness of the Lord.  Let me explain. I'd love to tell you that I wake up every morning and dive right into the Word and spend some time with Him, but that wouldn't be the truth. Honestly, I have a hard enough time waking up when I have to, and waking up any earlier is nearly impossible.  However, once I am awake enough, I usually head over to my Google reader and check out what the ladies of the Proverbs 31 blog are up to. Sometimes I read and it doesn't mean that much to me, or I think that it's nice/sweet/some other non-committal adjective.  Other times I read it and get. creeped. out. I think it's creepy (and I don't mean that in a bad way, more like I get goosebumps) because it's unexpected and it's as if they're reading my mind/journal or listening to my conversations. Today is one of those days.

I think the Lord uses these blogs to get my attention, probably because (I begrudgingly admit this...) it's sometimes my only daily exposure to the Word. I know... I know.

The content of the blog doesn't always matter.  Sometimes it will be about parenting, or like today's blog- about helping a friend get through a tough time; some random topic that shouldn't resonate loudly. But it speaks to me nonetheless.  For instance, in context with the "Obedience" blog I wrote last night, here are the verses from today's blog:

"My days have passed, my plans are shattered, and so are the desires of my heart." (Job 17:11, NIV 1984)

"The LORD is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him." (Nahum1:7, NIV 1984) [side note: is it bad that I've never heard of the book of Nahum? Sign #1007 that I need to read my Bible...] 

"Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails." (Proverbs 19:20-21, NIV 1984)

"My ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:9, NIV 1984)

"Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart." (Psalm 37:3-4, NIV 1984)

Other little pearls of wisdom from the blog:

- Nothing [the Lord allows] you to go through is pointless. Even in the midst of hurt [He] will work good for [you]: now and in the future.

-You don't have to have answers. You just need to trust.

-[The Lord is] the only one who knows the full scope of those desires. [He'll] give [you] new desires and help [you] so those desires come to pass... trust [Him] and make wise choices.

Woah. Good stuff, huh?

xo, april

No comments:

Post a Comment