Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The faith of Noah


Do you ever feel like God has to tell you something over and over again before you get it?  I consider myself to be an intelligent person, but I think God must shake His head at me over the lessons He has to beat me over the head with.

I think most people probably know at least the basics about the story of Noah. I knew that God instructed Noah to build an ark, when nearly everyone in the world thought it was crazy. Noah was a righteous man in a corrupt world and God entrusted Him with the future of the world. He lived for over 900 years, each year of that life a living testament to the world. He wasn’t perfect and I wonder if he ever had a shred of doubt in those years before the flood.  Somehow in learning of this story, I missed the part where it had never rained before the flood started.  Noah built an ark to save him and his family from a flood, and he didn’t even know what rain was.  Remarkable.

The story of Noah is one that I’ve heard many times in my life, but I’m not sure I’ve every really grasped the full weight of what God instructed him to do. Yes, the Lord asked Noah to physically build a boat and fill it with animals. But, more importantly, the Lord asked for Noah’s faith and obedience (there’s that word again).   And Noah gave it to Him.  He didn’t ask God why, he didn’t pray for the flood to not happen, he didn’t even pray for assistance in building the ark. He just did it.

I wonder, and I’m afraid, of what I would have done in that situation.  The amount of faith that required is hard for me to even fathom.  I think there are many things that God and I are working on, but the most basic of all is to figure out: how much faith do I have?  Do I trust in the Lord with my whole heart?  Do I truly believe that He is working on my behalf, even as I write this?  Do I have faith like Noah?  He didn’t find favor with the Lord because he was perfect. He found favor because he had faith and loved the Lord with his whole heart.

Tonight I heard a pastor speak about the Lord’s provision of funds for her to attend seminary. All of it. She found favor because she trusted that she was being called to ministry, was working toward that goal, and trusted that the Lord would provide for her and her family.  I’m reminded of my recent mission trip and how I fretted over raising the funds and funded much of it myself even because I was afraid that it wouldn’t work out if I didn’t. I’ve fretted over bills and debt and tithing.  This isn’t Noah’s kind of faith in action here.

I’ve always been envious of people who seem so confident and poised in their faith.  In my head, it seems like it should be easy. I know He can move mountains, He can heal the sick, He can do anything. Through His Son, Christ Jesus, I am worthy of receiving these blessings but I have to have faith.

Heavenly Father, I come to you tonight with awe and sadness on my heart. I’m in awe of Your power, Your faithfulness, and Your mercy. I’m saddened by my own inadequate faith. I pray for the faith and obedience of Noah. Thank you for reminding me that it’s the rain that draws us near to You, and for the rainbow as a reminder of Your promise to Your children.  I pray that you continue to draw me in, Lord, and fill my heart with Your goodness, so full that there’s no room for doubts or fears. Amen.


xo, april

No comments:

Post a Comment